Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Kenny's procedure


So we set an appointment to do a ICP (internal cranial pressure)test for June 21. In between the when we had the MRI and June 21 Kenny started to complain of headaches when he was real active this is a symptom of pressure on the brain.

June 21 comes and we head to the hospital for the procedure. We knew that this test would keep us at the hospital for 24 hours. They Kenny some "Happy Juice" so when he left us he was a little goofier then normal. They placed a monitor into his skull. this took about 30 minutes to do. The recovery was the hardest because he was coming off the medication and was crying for me. Kenny finally settled down and we were moved to a room. Now for the hard part keeping my very active boy laying down on his back for 24 hours with the exception of going to the bathroom and eating.

I want you all to know he did great! The tv was are friend that day but even when he got sick of watching tv he would play with his two figurines of Buzz Lightyear and Woody, that his Memaw got him. They were a very big help. I know that God's hand was on him that day because that is the only way Kenny would of stay so still for such a very long time. I know I couldn't of done it.


Let me explain how the test works: the monitor in his skull monitors the pressures in his skull by numbers.

1-10 low

11-15 moderate

15-20 high

over 20 not good

We were able to stay in the low category most of the time with spikes in high end. Except when he was sleeping for three hours he was above 20.

We found this our the next morning when the doctor came in the next morning.

That's when we found out that Kenny would have to have surgery to enlarge his skull.

I am not sure just what that all entails though I do have a good idea because of the surgery at 4 months.

So here's where we stand: Kenny will have the 2 staples removed form his head on Monday Aug 2. After that appointment we will head over to Dr. Williams office the plastic surgeon who worked on Kenny at 4 months. Hopefully after that appointment well will know when the surgery will be.


Please be praying for Kenny for the 2 as he doesn't like pain at all and freaks out and moves a whole lot.


A LITTLE LAUGH


While in the hospital Kenny had to get up to go potty. He turned and looked at the monitor that was hooked up to his skull. He turns to me and asks "What's this?"

"It's monitoring your brain." I explained to which he said. "I always wondered what my brain looked like. It's green squiggly lines!"

No comments:

Post a Comment